Feel Better Rested with this Homemade Sleep Balm
It is estimated that up to 60 million people have sleep problems. Some individuals toss and turn before finally falling asleep. Others fall asleep almost immediately but wake up long before morning. People who have trouble sleeping often find that it helps to use a sleep balm containing essential oils. Ginger essential oil may help warm the body while stimulating a feeling of ease. Lemon essential oil may help push stress away. Grapefruit essential oil may help lower blood pressure as well as regulate estrogen levels. Peppermint essential oil sometimes halts inflammation in the body and improves breathing. Finally, cinnamon bark essential oil may help control blood sugar levels. It is easy to make a sleep balm at home with these essential oils.
Homemade Sleep Balm
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil
- ½ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. beeswax pastilles
- 20 drops ginger essential oil
- 20 drops lemon essential oil
- 20 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 20 drops peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops cinnamon bark essential oil
- Combine essential oils in a glass bottle.
- Melt coconut oil, olive oil, and beeswax pastilles in a double boiler over low heat, stirring frequently.
- Place essential oils in the glass jar.
- Add coconut and olive oil mixture to the jar.
- Stir well until combined.
- At night, rub the salve into the bottom of feet.
- Cover feet with cotton socks. Sleep with socks on at night.
- Store remainder in a glass jar with an airtight lid for up to eight months.
This sleep balm can have a calming effect on the body. Regular users may find that it helps them sleep better. While people can find sleep balms commercially available, it is easy to follow this how-to recipe to make sleep balm.